[mythtv-users] Firewire and F8

Harry Devine lifter89 at comcast.net
Thu Jun 5 00:26:09 UTC 2008

Tim Fenn wrote:
> On Wed, 04 Jun 2008 08:00:41 -0400 Harry Devine <lifter89 at comcast.net>
> wrote:
>

>> Michael Jones wrote:
>>
>>> You've stumped me, hopefully someone on the list can provide some
>>> help.
>>>

>> Yeah, hopefully.  I appreciate the help.  Unfortunately, it seems
>> like alot of people aren't using firewire yet, so I'll have to keep
>> trying different things.  In the meantime, I do have another question
>> for you about this.
>>

> I'm surprised no one has suggested trying to grab data off the firewire
> using test-mpeg2:
>
> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/FireWire#Test-mpeg2
>
> Try that using either the broadcast or p2p setup, and see if you get
> any data.  Once you get that working, then worry about the channel
> changing and mythtv setup.
>
> HTH,
> Tim

Thanks for the tip Tim.  I was able to use test-mpeg2 to capture a
stream successfully, so I know my firewire is working properly.  I also
used Michael's suggestion about removing the channel changing script
from the Input connections in mythtv-setup, and that also worked.  If I
go into Watch TV and tune to a firewire channel, the STB changes to that
channel as Michael suggested.

However, I get that "You should have gotten a channel lock by now"
message.  I actually get this on my DVB portion stations of my pcHD5500
card too (on the OTA HD stations).  The analog V4L stations on that card
give me nothing but snow.

Any ideas on why this is?  It seems that my firewire issues are solved,
now I'm running into something else, which I have going in another
thread already on this list.

Thanks,
Harry