[mythtv-users] Firewire and F8

Harry Devine lifter89 at comcast.net
Wed Jun 4 12:00:41 UTC 2008

Michael Jones wrote:
> On Jun 3, 2008, at 4:10 AM, Harry Devine wrote:
>

>>> What happens when you go to live TV and select the firewire tuner?
>>> Select a channel in the lower ranges to start with.  There are
>>> channels that will not be available under the firewire connection.
>>>
>>> Mine (DCT-6200) automatically changes the channel over the firewire
>>> as
>>> well, no scripts involved.
>>>

>> When I try to tune to a channel that I know is available only over
>> firewire, my STB resets (DCT-3412), almost as if I pulled the plug and
>> re-plugged it in.  Goes down hard.  I am running my frontend via an
>> SSH
>> session since my main DLP TV is down, so I don't know if that has
>> anything to do with it.  I also can't tune the other 2 tuners either,
>> both the analog portion of my pcHD5500 (shows snow) and the digital
>> DVB
>> portion (shows a blank screen).
>>
>> Harry
>>

> That's not anything like how my STB/DVR responds. If I connect to the
> firewire tuner, the DVR either just tunes the channel, or if it was
> powered off, it turns on and then tunes the channel.
>
> A reset is NOT a good sign.
>
> You've stumped me, hopefully someone on the list can provide some help.

Yeah, hopefully.  I appreciate the help.  Unfortunately, it seems like
alot of people aren't using firewire yet, so I'll have to keep trying
different things.  In the meantime, I do have another question for you
about this.

Under mythtv-setup for the Firewire input (I don't recall if it's under
"Input Connections" or "Capture Cards"), I have the following entered
for the "External Channnel Changer":  */usr/local/bin/6200ch -n 0
%CHANID%*.  I'm using "-n 0" since my firewire is connected to node 0
and %CHANID%, which is patterned after the parameters sent into another
script that I use to remove commercials on recordings.

I suspect that possibly this isn't correct, and maybe that's what's
causing the STB to reset itself.  What do you have for your channel
changing script for your firewire card?

Thanks,
Harry