[mythtv-users] How is my IR mapped to the keymap ?

David Watkins watkinshome at gmail.com
Wed Jun 4 11:35:17 UTC 2008

> Got a config file up for lirc. So I will go that route. How can I
> disable the input being taken from dev/event8 as keyboard input into X
> so only lirc will be doing it ?

If you start lircd like this

lircd -d /dev/input/event8
(you may want to add other options such as the path to your lircd.conf file...)

then all events on that device (your remote) will go to lirc rather
than to the keyboard buffer.

You need to be aware that if you add or remove other event based HID
devices (keyboard, mouse etc) then that event number might change.
Actually if you're very unlucky it may even change on a reboot without
you changing the computer configuration.

The solution to the above is to create a udev rule that creates a unique name

eg.     /dev/input/myevent

that is always mapped to the correct event number.  So then you'd
start lirc with

lircd -d /dev/input/myevent

There's stuff on the mythtv wiki about creating udev rules.  If you
never plug or unplug peripherals and you're not unlucky you may not
need to worry about this.