[mythtv-users] System freezes on boot - Need advice

Roger Heflin rogerheflin at gmail.com
Wed Jun 4 02:57:50 UTC 2008

John Drescher wrote:

>>> Possibly one of the drives nearly dead or a bad power supply.
>>>
>> Not really what I **want** to hear.  The 250GB drive is not all that
>> old, maybe 12-18 months.
> It should be under some warranty. If it is a seagate  I know you do
> not need a reciept. I believe WD did the same as well but I have only
> bought seagates since the 5 year warranty was started.

The last time I had to deal with WD, they allowed you to secure an advance
replacement drive with a credit card and then you have 30 days to return the bad
drive for no charge.

I don't know if Seagate allows you do to that (they used to not, so you had to
buy a replacement or do without, and RMA the old one and wait a while for it to
be replaced-which is annoying when the drive kind of works, and the advance
replacement is a couple of days faster-no need to wait for the dead drive to
arrive before someone sends out the replacement), but all should be under
warranty, and the warranty is based on the month/year listed on the drive.

I don't think any drives from the big companies have a 1year warranty anymore
except under very special conditions.

                            Roger