[mythtv-users] Linux software raid question

Matt Nelson matt at frozenatom.com
Tue Jun 3 20:44:38 UTC 2008

Many of you have asked, so here is my Hardware Description for the original
post.  Sorry It may be a bit messy:

Drive enclosures:
6x500GB Hard Drives:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822145137
6x250GB Hard Drives:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822145087
12xHard Drive Enclosures:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817121113
I have these screwed together using plexiglass on the sides, so they sit in
three separate stacks of 4 enclosures each.  They are just sitting
side-by-side on a shelf.

Power:
The external drives are powered by a standard ATX power supply that I had
lying around.

Machine:
CPU: Intel Pentium D 2.80GHz overclocked to 3.0GHz
MEM: 1GB
VIDEO: nVidia Corporation GeForce 6500 (rev a1)

PCI1
Rosewill Silicon Image PCI 4 SATA ports Controller Card
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816132006
-2 of the external sata headers are used
-2 of the internal sata headers are connected to spoon below

PCI2
Internal to External 8 port "spoon"
http://www.macgurus.com/productpages/sata/satakits.php (Near the bottom
right)
-4 of my onboard sata headers connect to 4 of the internal spoon ports
-2 of the internal sata headers on PCI2 connect to 2 of the internal spoon
ports
-2 of the internal sata headers on PCI1 connect to 2 of the internal spoon
ports

PCI3
Rosewill Silicon Image PCI 4 SATA ports Controller Card
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816132006
-2 of the external sata headers are used
-2 of the internal sata headers are connected to spoon below

PCI5
Was a tuner that was recently moved to another backend machine...

# mdadm --detail /dev/md0
/dev/md0:
        Version : 00.90.03
  Creation Time : Fri Jun  1 17:37:59 2007
     Raid Level : raid5
     Array Size : 2441919680 (2328.80 GiB 2500.53 GB)
    Device Size : 488383936 (465.76 GiB 500.11 GB)
   Raid Devices : 6
  Total Devices : 6
Preferred Minor : 0
    Persistence : Superblock is persistent

    Update Time : Tue Jun  3 14:17:14 2008
          State : clean
 Active Devices : 6
Working Devices : 6
 Failed Devices : 0
  Spare Devices : 0

         Layout : left-symmetric
     Chunk Size : 64K

           UUID :
         Events : 0.191012

    Number   Major   Minor   RaidDevice State
       0       8       17        0      active sync   /dev/sdb1
       1       8       33        1      active sync   /dev/sdc1
       2       8       49        2      active sync   /dev/sdd1
       3       8      177        3      active sync   /dev/sdl1
       4       8      193        4      active sync   /dev/sdm1
       5       8       65        5      active sync   /dev/sde1

# mdadm --detail /dev/md1
/dev/md1:
        Version : 00.90.03
  Creation Time : Mon Aug 28 20:41:44 2006
     Raid Level : raid5
     Array Size : 1220979520 (1164.42 GiB 1250.28 GB)
    Device Size : 244195904 (232.88 GiB 250.06 GB)
   Raid Devices : 6
  Total Devices : 6
Preferred Minor : 1
    Persistence : Superblock is persistent

    Update Time : Tue Jun  3 11:25:25 2008
          State : clean
 Active Devices : 6
Working Devices : 6
 Failed Devices : 0
  Spare Devices : 0

         Layout : left-symmetric
     Chunk Size : 64K

           UUID :
         Events : 0.133480

    Number   Major   Minor   RaidDevice State
       0       8       81        0      active sync   /dev/sdf1
       1       8       97        1      active sync   /dev/sdg1
       2       8      129        2      active sync   /dev/sdi1
       3       8      113        3      active sync   /dev/sdh1
       4       8      161        4      active sync   /dev/sdk1
       5       8      145        5      active sync   /dev/sdj1