[mythtv-users] HD-PVR. Anyone received one yet?

David Engel david at istwok.net
Tue Jun 3 16:22:59 UTC 2008

On Tue, Jun 03, 2008 at 09:40:20AM +0200, Janne Grunau wrote:
> On Tuesday 03 June 2008 05:23:25 Steven Adeff wrote:
> > whats the consensus on how fast of a processor is needed to
> > playback the files it records? I've got an
> > Athlon64 X2 4200 (overclocked to 2.6GHz).
>
> I would guess that it is currently not fast enough since the streams can
> only be decoded in a single thread.

I concur it probably isn't fast enough currently.  My desktop X2
overclocked to 2.6 GHz can't quite handle the high quality, 720p, ESPN
clip I've seen, and that's running in an 800x600 window.  Scaling
1080i to full screen and deinterlacing would be even more taxing.
FWIW, my current main frontend, a non-overclocked X2 4200 at 2.2 GHz
can't even handle the half-rate sample clip.

> There is a GSoC project going on
> now and I expect it to finish successfully.

Janne, do you have any more information on this?  There's a mention of
a 2007 project on
http://wiki.multimedia.cx/index.php?title=FFmpeg_Summer_Of_Code but I
don't see anything about the 2008 project on
http://wiki.multimedia.cx/index.php?title=FFmpeg_Summer_Of_Code_2008 .
I curious to know more about how the parallel decoding will work,
especially with Myth, and which is the better upgrade path -- a faster
dual-core or a (relatively) slower quad-core.

David
--
David Engel
david at istwok.net