[mythtv-users] Is this a good system spec?

Justin The Cynical cynical at penguinness.org
Tue Jun 3 05:08:42 UTC 2008

Allen Edwards wrote:

*snip*

> ASUS P1-AH2 AMD Socket AM2 NVIDIA GeForce 6150 2 x 240Pin GeForce 6150
> Barebone - Retail

Why do these companies insist on putting the digital out in such brain
dead places?  Come on, in front of the case??

Otherwise, the video chip is known to support XvMC (If needed.  I don't
think that you will with the current state of OTA HD broadcasts.) and
the audio chip appears to work under Alsa.

However, there does not appear to be a way to switch outputs mid-session
with X, you have to either specify the outputs you want within a
multi-display (mirror or otherwise), or set the config file and restart
X every time you want to use a different output.

> ASUS Black 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-ROM SATA DVD-ROM Drive Model DVD-E616A3T
> OEM - OEM

I've heard rumours that SATA optical drives can be problematic under
Linux, but personally, I've not seen anything one way or another.  I'll
find out myself someday as I have a SATA optical in my parts list as
well.  :-)

> A-DATA 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel
> Kit Desktop Memory - Retail

Slight overkill.  My current FE/BE system has a gig and it's only
touching the swap due to the way the kernel will use any unused memory
for disk cache.  However, RAM is cheap, so why not?  :-)

> AMD Athlon 64 X2 4600+ 2.4GHz 2 x 512KB L2 Cache Socket AM2 65W
> Dual-Core Processor - Retail

About the minimum CPU for watching OTA ATSC HD programmes without
needing XvMC.  If it's not too expensive, faster doesn't hurt.

> Western Digital Caviar SE16 640GB 3.5" SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM

The more space, the merrier.  :-)

And the above is my own viewpoint and opinion, no refunds, no exchanges,
YMMV, IANAL, don't take any wooden nickels, yadda yadda yadda.