[mythtv-users] Is this a good system spec?

Allen Edwards allen.edwards at oldpaloalto.com
Tue Jun 3 01:28:52 UTC 2008

I have selected the following to build a HD mythtv system.  It will be ATSC
only.  My P4-2.4GHz system was just OK (stutters when the OSD is showing),
but not really perfect and made too much of a high pitched sound for my wife
so I have tried to pick out quiet components.  The barebone system was
recommended on this list and I have filled it with the max of what it can
take, I think.  Before I buy it, I would appreciate someone checking it over
and letting me know if I have made some dumb mistake or even if there is a
little recommendation for an improvement.  I bought an air2pc card on ebay
and will be using that as a start.  I want to make sure I have plenty of CPU
power as if I don't, I just bought an expensive paper weight.

The goal is a system to use with a 720p projector or an SVideo TV (one at a
time).  The TV is analog stereo and when using the projector I need 5.1
SPDIF.

ASUS P1-AH2 AMD Socket AM2 NVIDIA GeForce 6150 2 x 240Pin GeForce 6150
Barebone - Retail
ASUS Black 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-ROM SATA DVD-ROM Drive Model DVD-E616A3T OEM -
OEM
A-DATA 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit
Desktop Memory - Retail
AMD Athlon 64 X2 4600+ 2.4GHz 2 x 512KB L2 Cache Socket AM2 65W Dual-Core
Processor - Retail
Western Digital Caviar SE16 640GB 3.5" SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM

I still need a remote and an ir-rx so can someone recommend something that
will work but not be a hobby to figure out.  I will probably end up using it
to just program my MX-500.

Allen