[mythtv-users] What dual/triple-tuner setup is recommended for the switch to digital?

Mark Knecht markknecht at gmail.com
Mon Jun 2 19:43:19 UTC 2008

On Mon, Jun 2, 2008 at 12:21 PM, John Drescher <drescherjm at gmail.com> wrote:
>>   What do I do when the switch to digital comes?
>>
> You do realize the broadcast switch next year does not directly effect
> cable or satellite?

I am, but I think Comcast is already setting up to drop it. My
reasoning being that a few months ago if we channel surfed on our STB
channel changes were fast on the lower 80 channels but slow on the
upper digital channels - something like <1 second vs greater than 2
seconds. Recently Comcast here in our city started doing an upgrade to
fiber. What I've noticed since that started coming up is that now all
channels, lower and upper, are all switching in the same > 2 second
range implying to me anyway that I'm watching digital cable on channel
2 when I'm watching my STB. Certainly the analog signal is still on
the cable since my PVR's still work but next year they could just turn
it off, if they choose, and tell me to buy or rent a converter.

<SNIP>

>>   Anyway, I'm looking for ideas on how I might start preceding.
>>
> Currently I have a cheap $40 kworld card that allows me to record
> digital on the 8 channels that Comcast does not encrypt. To receive
> more channels I would need a cable box and probably an hauppage HD-PVR
> (when it becomes available).
>
> John

Thanks John. I appreciate the info.

Cheers,