[mythtv-users] Internal player audio/video sync broken?

Michael Jones michael at michaelandholly.com
Mon Jun 2 19:00:15 UTC 2008

It seems that the internal player's ability to maintain audio/video
sync is broken in .21 (unless there's an option somewhere I don't know
about).

This issue did not exist in .20.

On the following system:  All systems running FC8,

Master Backend:  Dual Xeon 2.3Ghz with Gigabit network connection, 2x
500GB drives (one for recordings, one for videos).  Videos are stored
in ISO format ripped with either DVDFab or DvdDecrypter/DVDShrink. 2
Hauppauge PVR Cards (1x 150 - T1, 1x 250 - T2).  Drives are exported
NFS, and SMB to the rest of the network.

Slave Backend/Frontend: Athlon 3000, with Gigabit network connection,
Firewire connection to a Comcast DCT-6200 (T3), Backend drives are
mounted NFS.

Frontend:  Pentium 3, 1Ghz with Gigabit network connection.  Backend
drives are mounted as NFS

When playing an ISO on either the SB/FE or the FE systems the audio/
video sync either starts at a significant delay (about 1s) or degrades
to that point over time.  It seems to get worse if you skip forward in
the movie, and get a LITTLE better if you either skip backward, or
Pause in the video.

Xine and Mplayer do not exhibit the problem. I'm currently using
Xine.. but I'd rather use the internal player.

Playback of recordings also does not exhibit the issue.

Is this a known issue?  Is there a solution?  What additional
information do I need to provide?

Thanks,

Michael