[mythtv-users] OT: Watching Videos on a PocketPC

Drew Tomlinson drew at mykitchentable.net
Mon Jun 2 18:16:38 UTC 2008

On 5/31/2008 9:13 PM Marc Barrett said the following:
> I have an old Dell Axim X30 which I don't use for much, and figured it would be great
> if I could watch videos on it.  It has a nice LCD display, and a WiFi connection.  Ideally
> I'd like to be able to set it up to watch streams on it, so I wouldn't have to be always be
> copying files to it.
>
> I've been playing with VLC on Windows, using the Wizard to set up network streams,
> but I have not been able to get it to work.  The best PocketPC media player, TCPMP,
> apparently does not support URLs, only local files.  I've been trying to get Windows Media
> Player for PocketPC to open  the network streams, but so far with no success.

I know for a fact that TCPMP supports audio files streamed over http as
I use it to stream mp3s with my Dell Axim x50v.  Thus I assume it
supports video as well.  I don't have the PPC with me at the moment but
as I recall, use the regular "file open" command from the menu and just
enter your URL there.  Let me know if that works.  If not, I will check
my PPC when I get home.

> If anyone has had some success getting a PocketPC to work with VLC or MythTV,
> I'd appreciate hearing about it.

As far as using with MythTV, I share the recording drives via Samba and
have mounted the share on my PPC.  As I recall, this works marginally
with SD but neither the processor or the 802.11b card in the PPC can
begin to handle HD.  It's been a long time since I played around with
this but it seems transcoding and reducing the frame size and bit rate
yielded better results.

Good Luck,

Drew

--