[mythtv-users] Inexpensive 5.1-channel Audio?

Josh TwoOneSix at thatclothingco.com
Sun Jun 1 23:07:55 UTC 2008

On Sun, Jun 1, 2008 at 4:07 PM, Paul V. Gratz <pgratz at gratz1.com> wrote:

> On Sunday 01 June 2008 12:54:23 pm Marc Barrett wrote:
> > I am using a Dell Optiplex GX/270 SFF as a combined FE/BE.
> > I am looking for an inexpensive way to get something like 5.1-
> > channel audio.  I don't know if this computer can do it
> > natively, but I do have another PC that can do 6-channel audio
> > under Windows, although I haven't been able to get it to do
> > that under Linux.
> >
> > Anyway, I am looking for advice on the cheapest way to add
> > 5.1-channel (or 6-channel, or 4-channel) audio to this.
> > Obviously, I need something well-support by Linux.  I've seen
> > some cheap USB sound cards on ebay, but I don't know about the
> > Linux support for such cards.
>

> I picked up an Optiplex refurb and had the same issue.  I got an SIIG
> Soundwave Pro 7.1.  Basically its a little USB dongle that has an
> SPDIF out that is capable of 7.1 audio.  Works great for me (athough
> I'm only using the stereo output right now).  Fully supported SPDIF
> output under linux and it cost me about $30 at Frys, I'd bet its
> cheaper online YMMV.
> Paul
>

> --

I've got a couple of GX250 frontends and I use this card in them as well as
another frontend http://www.turtlebeach.com/products/riviera/home.aspx ($30)
and I picked them up at Fry's also for under $20. You can also see a
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/200529 or simply search
and you'll find others that are using the card in Linux with great success.

Josh