[mythtv-users] Inexpensive 5.1-channel Audio?

Paul V. Gratz pgratz at gratz1.com
Sun Jun 1 20:07:19 UTC 2008

On Sunday 01 June 2008 12:54:23 pm Marc Barrett wrote:
> I am using a Dell Optiplex GX/270 SFF as a combined FE/BE.
> I am looking for an inexpensive way to get something like 5.1-
> channel audio.  I don't know if this computer can do it
> natively, but I do have another PC that can do 6-channel audio
> under Windows, although I haven't been able to get it to do
> that under Linux.
>
> Anyway, I am looking for advice on the cheapest way to add
> 5.1-channel (or 6-channel, or 4-channel) audio to this.
> Obviously, I need something well-support by Linux.  I've seen
> some cheap USB sound cards on ebay, but I don't know about the
> Linux support for such cards.

I picked up an Optiplex refurb and had the same issue.  I got an SIIG
Soundwave Pro 7.1.  Basically its a little USB dongle that has an
SPDIF out that is capable of 7.1 audio.  Works great for me (athough
I'm only using the stereo output right now).  Fully supported SPDIF
output under linux and it cost me about $30 at Frys, I'd bet its
cheaper online YMMV.
Paul