[mythtv-users] Inexpensive 5.1-channel Audio?

Marc Barrett mnealbarrett at cox.net
Sun Jun 1 17:54:23 UTC 2008

I am using a Dell Optiplex GX/270 SFF as a combined FE/BE.
I am looking for an inexpensive way to get something like 5.1-
channel audio.  I don't know if this computer can do it
natively, but I do have another PC that can do 6-channel audio
under Windows, although I haven't been able to get it to do
that under Linux.

Anyway, I am looking for advice on the cheapest way to add
5.1-channel (or 6-channel, or 4-channel) audio to this.
Obviously, I need something well-support by Linux.  I've seen
some cheap USB sound cards on ebay, but I don't know about the
Linux support for such cards.