[mythtv-users] OT: Watching Videos on a PocketPC

Kevin Kuphal kkuphal at gmail.com
Sun Jun 1 04:28:11 UTC 2008

On Sat, May 31, 2008 at 11:13 PM, Marc Barrett <mnealbarrett at cox.net> wrote:

> I have an old Dell Axim X30 which I don't use for much, and figured it
> would be great
> if I could watch videos on it.  It has a nice LCD display, and a WiFi
> connection.  Ideally
> I'd like to be able to set it up to watch streams on it, so I wouldn't have
> to be always be
> copying files to it.
>
> I've been playing with VLC on Windows, using the Wizard to set up network
> streams,
> but I have not been able to get it to work.  The best PocketPC media
> player, TCPMP,
> apparently does not support URLs, only local files.  I've been trying to
> get Windows Media
> Player for PocketPC to open  the network streams, but so far with no
> success.
>
> If anyone has had some success getting a PocketPC to work with VLC or
> MythTV,
> I'd appreciate hearing about it.

I used to have a software for my old Dell Axim that would mount a "disk"
(actually just a file on my PC) as storage on the PocketPC and it would
appear as local but over the network.  Have you considered looking into
software that would let you mount storage that way or even like a drive
mapping from a windows "server" which would let your video player (even Divx
mobile) play back because you're not "streaming" the file anymore?

Kevin