[mythtv-users] hdmi and sound

dcw dwoody1 at charter.net
Thu Jul 31 22:00:17 UTC 2008

On Thursday 31 July 2008 4:06 pm, Nick Rout wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 1, 2008 at 8:58 AM, dcw <dwoody1 at charter.net> wrote:
> > I have been using a vga cable and a cable from the sound card to the rca
> > inputs on the tv. This has been working.
> >
> > I then replaced the vga cable with a hdmi(motherboard) -> dvi(tv) cable
> > for the video. The video works but I now have no audio.
> >
> > The reading I have done on mythtv and the internet searches have mostly
> > referred to using spdif for audio.
> >
> > Will analog audio not work if I am using the hdmi cable? If it will, can
> > you point to some documentation.
> >
> > motherboard: M2A-VM
> > tuner:             pcHDTV
> > tv:                  samsung 46"
> > mythtv:          0.21-191 from atrpms
> > OS:                 fedora8
> >
> > Please advise if additional information is needed.
>
> Most TV's that I have seen with an hdmi input also have a
> corresponding audio input via rca. Is there a set of RCA inputs that
> go woth the HDMI input?

Yes, there is. (do I feel stupid!). And do I assume correctly that the RCA
inputs to the tv are digital only? Therefore, the output from the computer
needs to be from the spdif to the previously mentioned rca connectors on the
tv? Then, if the above it accurate, then analog sound will not work with a
hdmi connection, correct?

David

> If not there are other threads in the archives of this list dealing
> with getting sound to work over hdmi, but it seems pretty hit and
> miss, and dependent on the exact motherboard (from my casual reading
> anyway, its not an issue that has concerned me greatly as I have an
> external amp).

RD Woodyard, Inc.