[mythtv-users] Is MythTV an open forwarder? (was Re: OT: Spam?]

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Wed Jul 30 18:46:46 UTC 2008

On 07/30/2008 07:23 AM, Peter VanDerWal wrote:
>>> I suppose it's also possible that Mythtv.org was infected, but that
>>> seems unlikely.
>>>
>> The list has been infected, this thread is the symptom. As with many
>> diseases
>> the behavior of the infected victims helps to spread the pestilence.
>>
>> Let's ignore it, discussing it can't possibly help.
>>
> Well it might help.
> My concern is: does the list require you to sign up in order to post?

Yep.  (Where by "sign up," I mean subscribe.)

> If anyone can post to the list without signing up, this is a bad thing and
> can lead to more spam. I suspect this is the case, since most spammers are
> too lazy to keep signing up.

Though I'm pretty certain that anyone can send an e-mail with an
appropriate From: header (i.e. one that uses the e-mail of a subscribed
member) .

> If it's an open list, then I'll probably quit.  My spam filters catch
> 99.9% of spam, but won't catch any coming in from MythTv.org

Fortunately, the mythtv.org spam filters catch 99.9999% of spam to the
list.  I'm thinking Isaac mentioned getting some 100 spam messages to
the list every 5 minutes or so (at least for a while).

> My preference for avoiding spam is higher than my desire to be on this list.

Your choice.  (Or, just reconfigure your spam filters...)

Mike