[mythtv-users] Screen corruption with fglrx X driver

Jason McMillon jmcmillon at gmail.com
Mon Jul 28 17:07:46 UTC 2008

On Sun, Jul 27, 2008 at 10:09 PM, Eric (MythTV)
<eric-mythtv at skoozdag.com> wrote:
> David Gee wrote:
>> I have a rather interesting problem. I have been trying to get MythTV up
>> and running on my HTPC box. I have a Radeon HD 2600 Pro graphics card
>> which is connected to my TV via a DVI->HDMI adapter, and the display
>> runs full-screen at 1920x1080. I was initially trying to get MythTV to
>> work using the radeonhd graphics driver, however hardware acceleration
>> is not yet supported for this driver so watching live TV is essentially
>> impossible because all the rendering must be done by the CPU, so I gave
>> up on that idea.
>>
>> Plan B was to use ATI's proprietary fglrx driver, which I managed to
>> install and get to work, complete with which means that 2D and 3D
>> hardware acceleration, so I was hoping that it would be straightforward
>> to get MythTV working. However, I found when I ran mythtv-setup, and
>> also later when I ran mythfrontend, that the display output gets
>> corrupted, as can be seen at
>> http://www.allpowerfuldave.com/mythtv_corruption.jpg. It's clear to see
>> that this is trying to be MythTV, there's just something not quite
>> right. If you take a screenshot, the screenshot is fine so MythTV is
>> drawing all the components correctly, so I surmise that there's
>> something going wrong between MythTV and fglrx, because the MythTV menus
>> displayed correctly when I went back to using the radeonhd driver.
>>
>> Can anyone shed any light on what the problem might be?
>
> David:
>
> I had this same problem with my HD 3200, when attempting to use the
> fglrx ATi proprietary driver.  I cant recall exactly what fixed it, but
> I know I was able to.  I have since gone back to my older Nvidia-based
> machine, as I was having tearing issues with the fglrx driver.
>
> Whats interesting is, if you tell Myth to run in a window, or at any
> resolution smaller than your full screen resolution, the issues doesnt
> show up.  At least, not on my system -- and I read others experiencing
> the exact same thing.  Very odd.  For example if my screen resolution
> was 1360x768 and I set Myth to run windowed at 1280x720... no screen
> corruption!  Very very peculiar.
>
> These are a few settings from the last version of my xorg.conf (from the
> DEVICE section) that I know I was playing with during that time, so
> perhaps one of these will do it:
>
>         Option "VideoOverlay" "off"
>         Option "OpenGLOverlay" "on"
>         Option "TexturedVideo" "on"
>

> Once you get it working, I'd be interested to hear if you see any of the
> video tearing issues or not.  I've read reports of others seeing it with
> the fglrx driver, as well, with the HD 3200 chipset.  Doesnt matter if
> I'm playing back SD or HD material, I was seeing it.  It wasnt terrible,
> by any means, but it was enough to annoy me... hence why I swapped my
> desktop and myth hardware to give myth the nvidia stuff, until the
> drivers get sorted out.

> [...]

I am having the same problems as described above.  I am using a
GIGABYTE GA-MA78GPM-DS2H motherboard which has an onboard ATI HD3200.

I have seen other posts that indicate VideoOverlay should be on and
OpenGLOverlay should be off.  Regardless, neither combination works
for my frontend.

However, I can get passed the garbled picture David posted above by
doing what Eric suggested... setting the geometry for mythfrontend at
the command line, eg:

 mythfrontend --geometry 800x600

Unfortunately, when I try to watch a recording this way, I get two
duplicate videos... one right on top of the other.  Very strange....

I am running it on a CentOS 64-bit system with everything up to date...

Jason