[mythtv-users] Looking for low power/heat PCI video card w/TV out

C.T. Paterson i.adore.my.64 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 23 11:24:22 UTC 2008

2008/7/22 Peter VanDerWal <peter at vanderwal.us>:

>> If I could float a suggestion; which is partially a means for me to
>> ask a question of my own on this notion; would on-board video fit the
>> bill (assuming your motherboard *has* on-board video)?
>
> Yup, but VGA only.  No TV out.
> This is for the bedroom.  My wife bought a 42" LCD TV and it doesn't have
> VGA input.  Just HDMI, Component Video, S-Video, and Composit(yuk)
> I contemplated a converter, but from what I've read they are either really
> expensive or junk (or both)

Sorry - I didn't complete my original thought, though you have
completed it for me.  I was thinking that you might use a
VGA->Composite adapter.  I know such things exist, though I have never
used one myself.  Your reply above makes it clear that you're not
impressed with the adapter or the performance of composite overall, so
I withdraw the suggestion.

>> I ask only because with the recent acquisition of my HDTV, I'm using
>> it's VGA input - making me wonder if I should pull out my video card
>> in favour of the o/b.  I could do without the heat and power-draw if
>> it's not necessary.
>
> Probably.  Of course it kind of depends on if the on-board video is
> supported by Linux/MythTv

Indeed.  It's an Intel GMA 3100.  I'll have to google deeper than I
have, but initial results seem promising.  Of course I must be mad
given I've just managed to get done tweaking my xorg and TV together a
few weeks ago.

Anyway, best of luck in your own hunt for a card.  I can't recommend
mine - it's full-length.

Cheers.

--
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."
 -- Thomas Paine