[mythtv-users] USB Harddrives

Brad DerManouelian myth at dermanouelian.com
Tue Jul 22 23:39:05 UTC 2008

On Jul 22, 2008, at 3:52 PM, Mitch Gore wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 22, 2008 at 8:32 AM, Peter VanDerWal
> <peter at vanderwal.us> wrote:
> Hard to answer that without knowing for sure how much power your
> proposed
> NAS draws and what electricity costs you.
> But a (reallY) rough estimate, your drives are going to draw about 10
> watts each x 6 = 60 watts.  The rest of the computer (NAS) probably
> draws
> at least 50-60 watts.
> Say 120 watts total - 10 watts for the new drive.  Assume
> electricity is
> $0.10 per kWh, that means you'll break even in about 16 months.  If
> you
> sell the old drives/computer you'll break even a lot sooner.
>
> True,  but i can spin down the drives when not in use like i do on
> my other drives.  So it will on average be the system draw plus a
> watt or two...
>

> This is a good discussion...but to trying to explain why i need to
> buy new drives that are going to cost ~250-300 up front is not going
> to be a easy one with the wife.  lol.

I forget how much storage you said you have now split across however
many drives, but how about replacing them all with a $175 1TB drive?
You can tell her you're helping the environment by not using so much
electricity spinning all those drives all day and by not running yet
another noisy/hot machine.

Don't forget about the network bandwidth you're saving by keeping all
your myth data local. Everyone in my house noticed when I stopped
throwing video all over the network.