[mythtv-users] Integrating non-traditional program sources into MythTV (won't tell you what it 'was:')

Jay R. Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Tue Jul 22 21:05:00 UTC 2008

On Tue, Jul 22, 2008 at 02:55:23PM -0500, Kevin Kuphal wrote:
>    It is an interesting conundrum. It really can't be integrated
>    into searches per se because it isn't guide data.

Expand on the assumptions you make within "it isn't guide data", would
you?

>                                                         It doesn't fit
>    in the traditional role of the program guide because the programs
>    are instantly available without notice. How did you envision this
>    appearing? Would you expect to see feed "recording rules" along
>    side normal rules in the Recording Priorities list?

Well, I would just treat them as channels, each with it's own
(pseudo-)tuner, and the "future data" is just the available programs.

Remember: some RSS feeds only show the latest items, but items
announced earlier can still be retrieved.

So given that, I don't think it's unreasonable to merely simulate a
program guide, dropping each new item onto the grid for it's 'channel'
as of when you first see it, and droping multiple items in sequence if
more than one thing appears simultaneously.

For our purposes here of making the searches work across both on-air
and IPTV/RSS, it's not so important that the mapping of appearances to
the time grid be "real", just that it be usable.  But if you're putting
*all* the "programs" on the grid, even the ones you don't schedule,
then if a user finds a show they like, they could go back and pick up
the older ones.

Well, if we make it possible to hit Record on things in the past. :-)

Cheers,
-- jra

	     Those who cast the vote decide nothing.
	       -- (Josef Stalin)