[mythtv-users] Integrating non-traditional program sources into MythTV (won't tell you what it 'was:')

Brad DerManouelian myth at dermanouelian.com
Tue Jul 22 20:01:16 UTC 2008

On Jul 22, 2008, at 12:55 PM, Kevin Kuphal wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 22, 2008 at 2:45 PM, Jay R. Ashworth <jra at baylink.com>
> wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 22, 2008 at 01:37:19PM -0500, Kevin Kuphal wrote:
> >    I agree.  I have this on my TODO as part of finishing the
> MythNews RSS
> >    enclosure support but I'm starting to see some value in taking
> this out of
> >    MythNews and putting it more into the mainline frontend.  I
> just updated my
> >    home system to SVN with QT4 so I'm just about ready to start
> looking at the
> >    code.
>
> (Yo, everybody!  Shut up now!  That's a better response than I
> expected.  :-)
>
> It is an interesting conundrum.  It really can't be integrated into
> searches per se because it isn't guide data.  It doesn't fit in the
> traditional role of the program guide because the programs are
> instantly available without notice.  How did you envision this
> appearing?  Would you expect to see feed "recording rules" along
> side normal rules in the Recording Priorities list?  I can see that,
> but then also it really doesn't require a priority because it can't
> compete with other rules.  I can't see them appearing in the guide
> because, again, we have no future data for the feed.  The only place
> they really need to appear is 1) Watch Recordings and 2) The screens
> you use to set them up.
>
> Since 1) is just a DB import, 2) really is the crux and seems to
> really be best managed by MythNews which already has the facility
> for setting up feeds on the frontend.  What were your ideas?

I know you're not asking me, but it makes sense to me to add a
component to MythNews that updates feeds in the background and also
checks a setting that says, "When metadata contains this regex,
download to storage directory and insert into Watch Recordings". Not
sure much else is needed.

It would be nice if there was an "Add this file with this metadata to
Watch Recordings" API in the Perl bindings. Just sayin'...