[mythtv-users] Integrating non-traditional program sources into MythTV (won't tell you what it 'was:')

David Linville dlinvill at networksdown.com
Tue Jul 22 18:27:43 UTC 2008

On Tue, Jul 22, 2008 at 12:25 PM, Jay R. Ashworth <jra at baylink.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Jul 21, 2008 at 04:29:18PM -0500, Kevin Kuphal wrote:
> >    Until true "Internet broadcast" content which appears on a schedule
> >    and only on a schedule shows up, I will continue to struggle to see
> >    any value in direct integration with Myth short of dropping the
> >    resulting content into Myth accessible folders for it to be viewed.
>
> New items appear in such feeds whenever they appear.
>
> New programs appear in program guide data whenever they appear.
>
> The only difference I can see is that if it's broadcast, you have to
> *wait* until it actually airs to record it, and it might go away,
> whereas with feeds, you can grab it the minute you're told it's there.
>
> So the sorts of feeds we're talking about *do* have "content appear on
> a schedule"... it's just that the delay between when you're told about
> it and when you can get it is 0.
>

> Exactly.  Here is an example weekly hour long show that has been
"broadcasting" for several years:

http://revision3.com/diggnation/
RSS feed: http://revision3.com/diggnation/feed/quicktime-high-definition/

This show is so similar to a broadcast show that it feels wrong not to
integrate it nicely with the rest of my recordings.

I think it is a shame that this sort of explicitly legal use gets shouted
down in these discussions.  I've seen links to 3 or 4 shows in this thread
alone that were put out by tv studios or others.  I imagine this sort of
distribution will only become more common in the future.

David