[mythtv-users] Advice on TV tuner for use on Comcast cable in Minneapolis

James Crow james at ultratans.com
Tue Jul 22 14:02:46 UTC 2008

On Tue, 2008-07-22 at 14:38 +0100, Gordon McCrae wrote:
> My friend was over on Scotland recently and loved my MythTV setup, now
> he's back home in Minneapolis he's looking to build his own system.
>
> Server and Linux wise I have that covered, however I have no idea about
> connecting up his Comcast cable TV.
>
> He tells me that he currently has an analogue solution, and simply tunes
> his TV stations to each of the cable stations, however when he called to
> get a second feed, they've told him it will need to be digital and will
> come with a tuner box.
>
> Any pointers on the best way to integrate this with MythTV, and what
> tuner cards would be required.
>
> I had thought a simple PVR-250 would be fine for the analogue feed, but
> even then he'll only have one channel available at a time to tune / record.
>
> Also, if the digital feed is do-able, what would he need on the PC
> hardware side to control channel selection?
>
> Cheers
> Gordon
Gordon,

  If he is planning to stick with SD feeds he could get a PVR-500
(essentially two PRV-150s in a single card) and connect the s-video
output of the digital box to one input of the PVR-500. The second input
of the PVR-500 could be connected to his analog cable. That would give
him two inputs in a single card. The PVR-500 card is quite long though
so make sure his case has room if you go that route. What setup is
required for controlling the digital box depends on what type of box it
is. Some can use serial cables, others need ir blaster devices and I
think some can be controlled over firewire though I have no experience
with that.

HTH
James