[mythtv-users] OT: XBMC alongside MythTV

Matt Emmott memmott at gmail.com
Tue Jul 22 13:35:06 UTC 2008

On Thu, Jul 17, 2008 at 9:48 AM, Matt Emmott <memmott at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 17, 2008 at 8:56 AM, covert covert <thecovert at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> A bit off topic but the right target audience. I want to finally pack
>> up the xbox that runs xbmc for me and instead run it on my linux
>> machine. My machine is a BE/FE with Mythbuntu on it.
>>
>> What is the best way to integrate it. I would like to launch it from
>> the Myth menu. Anyone else done the same thing and got good results ?
>

> I'd be interested in hearing this as well. Right now I just launch each
> from the command line with a lot of alt-tabbing in between. I made a post on
> the XBMC forums a few months back about integration of the two and the only
> thing that came out of it (other than pages of flames about which is better)
> was the addition of the mythtv:// option when adding a video source in XBMC.
> I wish somebody would integrate the two, since Mythmovie and MythMusic suck,
> IMHO.

I found it via another email on the mailing list. There are xml files in
/usr/share/mythtv/ corresponding to each menu. Just edit the xml of the menu
you want to modify and create a new button. Here's the code I put into
/usr/share/mythtv/util_menu.xml:

   <button>
     <type>XBMC</type>
     <text>XBMC</text>
     <action>EXEC /home/matt/Xbox/xbmc.bin -q</action>
   </button>