[mythtv-users] Nova-t 500 1GigHz CPU?

Mike Perkins mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk
Tue Jul 22 10:15:39 UTC 2008

mat wrote:
> Peter VanDerWal wrote:
>>> Hi there!
>>>
>>> I've finally managed to get my system sort of running. Trouble is, my
>>> live TV is jittery and horrible. To me, it looks like the signal is bad
>>> but when I change channel I get a signal of 61% - which isn't bad is it?
>>> I'm sure when I had the box in my living room it was about that.
>>>
>>> I testes CPU usage with top and mythbackend was only using 10% of my
>>> CPU! So it can't be that can it?
>>>
>>> The antenna is in the same position I have just re-cabled from my loft
>>> into my garage. Could it be bad cable? Are there differing qualities of
>>> UHF cable?
>>>
>> I'm no expert, but it might help if you posted what you are using to
>> capture the video with.
>>
>> As for UHF cable, there are literally hundreds of different types of coax
>> cable.  Many of these have characteristics that are wrong for use as TV
>> antenna cable.
>> Did you put new connectors on the cable?  It's easy to do this wrong and
>> end up with a bad picture.
>>
> Thanks for the reply.
>
> I'm guessng making a UHF cable wrong means having the outer wire
> touching the inner core (co-axial). I will check this but I'm sure it's
> right.

Also having an iffy contact between the central cable conductor and the pin or
receptacle it's supposed to make contact with.

Also not screwing tightly down the connectors to the sockets (assuming F type or
similar) or not having a tight fit (push-on connectors). Lack of a tight fit may
allow moisture into the cable amongst other things.

Routing the cable which involves tight kinks or bends. Routing the cable next to
power cables for any length.

Bad connection at the antenna end. It's usually a screwed clamp, sometimes not
easy to do when you are perched up a ladder or astride the roof.

If you've stapled or clipped it down, maybe you pinched the cable or damaged the
screen somewhere. Not easy to notice when you are doing it, especially in tight
spaces or dark corners, and *really* difficult to find.

Am I paranoid? No, just been finding these kinds of faults for far too long :P

--

Mike Perkins