[mythtv-users] Flickering lines at the bottom of TV

Allen Edwards allen.edwards at oldpaloalto.com
Tue Jul 22 04:12:46 UTC 2008

> There's not an ounce of digital on these cable lines.  It's a college campus
> where the have IP television feeds.  I'm in one of the housing units and
> they have a DAC setup where they do the IPTV to analog conversion and then
> modulate it to the us-cable frequency table.  They're too cheap for anything
> digital.
>
> Brian

Whatever, you are apparently watching the show on something that doesn't
have overscan and the "data" (Closed Caption perhaps)is showing.  The
fact that it is not DTV explains why you are seeing it on the bottom as
well as the top.  I wondered about that as if it was digital, it would
only be on top.

As another poster said, analog TV is intended to have overscan.  There
is a good discussion here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Overscan

Just set it to 3%, you will be fine.  You won't miss anything as this is
how it is intended to be viewed.  I see in the wiki that BBC recommends
3.5%, for example.

Allen