[mythtv-users] Live TV in a window

David Brodbeck gull at gull.us
Mon Jul 21 22:50:30 UTC 2008

On Mon, 21 Jul 2008 09:05:53 -0700, Mark Knecht wrote
> On Mon, Jul 21, 2008 at 8:54 AM, Scott Pleavin
> <scott_pleavin at rogers.com> wrote:
> > I'd like to be able to watch live tv in a small window while doing other
> > work on my desktop. The setting in the MythTV frontend to run in a
> > window has no effect. Is there another application that is known to work
> > with the Hauppauge 150 cards?
>
> I am able to do this using the setting in MythTV. I need to set both
> the tick box to run Myth in a window and also start it from the
> command line using something like
>
> mythfrontend --geometry 800x600

I think you also need the --windowed switch, unless you have it set up for
windowed mode in the settings menu.  Or maybe it's -w; I can't remember which
right now.

I have two Mythfronted shortcuts on my system -- one runs mythfrontend without
any switches, for full-screen use, the other does something like:

mythfrontend --windowed --geometry 640x480

for when I want it in a window while I'm doing other stuff.

It's not an ideal windowed app, though.  You can't resize the window, and
mouse navigation is not well supported.  You can move the window to a
different location on the desktop, but it will snap back to the original one
every time you play a video.  Maybe someone should port Windows MythTV Player
to Linux so we have a proper desktop TV frontend. ;)