[mythtv-users] Moving from KnoppMyth to Mythbuntu

Andrew Close aclose at gmail.com
Mon Jul 21 13:40:33 UTC 2008

On Sat, Jul 19, 2008 at 10:55 AM, Colin McGregor <colin.mc151 at gmail.com> wrote:
> As noted in another post to this list I have run into issues with the
> new version of KnoppMyth (version 5.5), which has me wondering "Is the
> grass greener on the other side". I have briefly played with Mythbuntu
> on my long suffering, often abused test box, and was basicly happy
> with what I saw.
>
> So, I am wondering what sort of pitfalls await me if I choose to move
> from KnoppMyth R5F27 to Mythbuntu 8.04?
>
> I am assuming the easiest route would be to install Mythbuntu 7.10, as
> it, like Knoppmyth R5F27 also runs MythTV 0.20, then take Mythbuntu
> 8.04. Right?
>
> Thanks in advance for any suggestions / advice.

i'm still running KnoppMyth R5F27 on my production box.  but i
purchased all new hardware for an HD capable MythBox and have been
playing with MythBuntu 8.04.  aside from some hardware issues i'm
having (new Intel Chipset and onboard video, grumble grumble) i like
the distro.  the control center is a nice centralized feature that i'm
guessing will mature and grow.  install/config went very smoothly, but
there are little differences.  i don't like the default locations of
tv/video storage in MythBuntu, but i'm sure that can be tweaked.  you
may want to check out the MythBuntu forums/wiki for what others have
to say.  my understanding is that 8.04 is somewhat buggy compared to a
pretty rock solid 7.10.
overall, i think the move from KnoppMyth to MythBuntu is a fairly
lateral move, although i do like the direction MythBuntu is heading...

--
Andrew Close