[mythtv-users] Where do I put lircd? Plus how I got my remote to work

Allen Edwards allen.edwards at oldpaloalto.com
Mon Jul 21 12:40:18 UTC 2008

I have my remote working on my MX-500 but cannot find best way to make
it boot up working.  I have mythbuntu 8.04 and am gun shy about
following complex instructions for other releases as they seem too
complex.  I can find no updated documentation. There is no Mythbuntu
8.04 wiki at mythbuntu.org, for example.

I have everything working.  All I have to do is issue this command
"lircd -H upd -d 5000" then restart X and the remote fires into my HD
Home Run and works perfectly.

To make it permanent, do I add the above command to /etc/rc.local?
Somewhere else?  Is it more complex than that?

Anyway, this is what I did.  I have an old remote left over from a
broken DVD player.  It is an N2QAHB000012 which, of course, is not in
the database.  I had a starting code for the MX-500 but can use the
learning mode on the MX-500 now that I have a the old DVD remote to
provide the codes so it is not a problem.

I used irrecord and followed the inline instructions and created a file
which I copied to lircd.conf.  That was easy.  I then ran
mythbuntu-lirc-generator to create my keybindings files, also easy.
However, I found many keys missing so created a little dictionary
(below) by looking in the sample files /usr/share/lirc/remotes/ and
actually doing dummy installs.  I modified several of the key names in
my lircd.conf file to match the key names in some of those sample remote
files.

There were still several keys that I wanted, aspect, play+, play- that I
could not find a way to auto generate so I modified the ~/.lirc/mythtv
file and added them to the list of key codes.

I used irw to test the remote, it is very helpful.

Below is my dictionary of key names that mythbuntu-lirc-generator will
recognize.  There may be more but this is what I could find.

Finally, I issued my lircd command and restarted X.  All is good except
I am unsure where to put the command to make it permanent on reboot
without issuing the command manually.

Allen

button	config

Right	Right