[mythtv-users] Hauppauge PVR-500 - changed device nodes with latest kernel

Calvin Dodge caldodge at gmail.com
Sun Jul 20 21:59:07 UTC 2008

On Sun, Jul 20, 2008 at 2:26 PM, Nick Morrott <knowledgejunkie at gmail.com> wrote:

> A reason to consider using udev rules to control V4L and DVB device
> nodes. However, it is odd that /dev/video0 was not created (although
> you haven't explicitly said this) - do you have any existing
> customised udev rules, modprobe entries, or other video devices
> installed in the machine?

No custom udev rules for video.
No modprobe entries for video.
No other video tuner card (I pulled the WinTV-Go PCI card long ago,
after getting tired of it playing musical chairs with the PVR-500
device nodes.

This system has gone from Fedora 5 (IIRC) to Fedora 8, and with all
those upgrades, and many kernel updates between OS upgrade, the
PVR-500 has been video0 and video1 (when the WinTV-Go card wasn't
present). This is the first time that the nodes have been video1 and
video2, with the ONLY change being a kernel upgrade.

OK - I'll reboot to the older kernel, and see if this behavior
persists. If not, then I'm sticking to my "kernel upgrade is
responsible" story.

Calvin