[mythtv-users] First Time User :: Problem with Hauppauge PVR-500 (System Reboots)

Roger Heflin rogerheflin at gmail.com
Sat Jul 19 17:44:25 UTC 2008

Param Singh wrote:
>>> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150269
>>> * Mother Board (Dragon Soyo P4x400 Lite) -
>> This is your problem. VIA chip sets and hauppage cards do not always
>> work. Get a nVidia based board.
>>
>> John
>
> Thanks for your quick reply,
>
> I have another windoz box with Asus K8V-SE motherboard, and after
> reading your email I thought about swapping mobo with my mythtv box.
> But then I read ...
>
> "K8V-SE is a great merge of the latest AMD Sempron CPU and VIA's
> K8T800 chipset to juice up your system."
>
> So that's no-good either, as its also using VIA chipset ?

The K8V-SE should work, I have one running with 2 PVR-150-s, A Nvidia 5200 and a
ATSC tuner card in it and it works so long as I don't use the onboard VIA
sata ports.

If you are crashing when you try to display live-TV I would suspect that that is
a video card driver issue, try recording stuff, and if that does not crash it it
is likely not an IVTV issue, but a nvidia driver issue.

Typical immediate crashes that I have seen before are Nvidia driver issues, you
can also try with the nv driver and see if that changes things.

                                 Roger