[mythtv-users] First Time User :: Problem with Hauppauge PVR-500 (System Reboots)

Stef Coene stef.coene at docum.org
Sat Jul 19 17:30:22 UTC 2008

On Saturday 19 July 2008, Param Singh wrote:
> Hi :
>
> Last week I installed mythtv on ubuntu, and have been banging my head
> on this problem thinking that I would be able to solve it by RTFM's. I
> have tried every possible step by now (learned quite a lot about linux
> internals) and as a last resort asking for help on this mailing list.
>
> All the cards are being recognized by the system and I am able to
> setup Mythtv-Backend ( Channel Setup ) without any problems; However
> when I play LIVE-TV, the computer reboots immediately ( within seconds
> ). Since, its an immediate reboot, I doubt if it could be a heat
> issue. I used LSPCI command and found that the interrupts for nvidia
> card and tv-tuner were clashing, so I changed the PCI slot of
> Hauppauge TV Tuner - but no luck :-p
I have the same problem.  I have an ubuntu based backend with via chipset
(K8M800) and a pvr500.  It was rock solid.
This is kernel 2.6.17-10-server so I think it was ubuntu edgy.  After
upgrading to dapper - feisy, my box rebooted after accessing ivtv.  All later
kernels had the reboot problem.  With gutsy it was stable for a few days and
then it rebooted.

So my backend is ubuntu hardy with a very old kernel and ivtv 0.7.4, but it is
rock solid.

Stef