[mythtv-users] no live tv

Josh White jaw1959 at gmail.com
Thu Jul 17 01:01:26 UTC 2008

Please help!

I've had an nice running myth setup on Ubuntu since 8.04 was ready.  Today,
I did an update that included a new kernel version, and now I have problems
on two of my systems.  My main backend seems to run fine, but when I connect
to it from any of my frontends, I have no live TV, and it shows that I have
no recordings.  I've checked my recordings directory (which is on a couple
of harddrives, LVM style, and all they do is store recordings) and
everything appears as it should.  Otherwise, myth seems to work, I can
connect to my videos library, and everything seems fine.  So does this mean
my database is messed up? I've never experienced a problem like this
before.  Also, during the same update on my main desktop machine, also
running Ubuntu 8.04 (which also occasionally serves as a frontend on one of
the two displays) I seem to have a different problem.  On that machine, my
video and sound seem not to work.  I have to run the video with the VESA
driver to load X, and I've yet to make audio work at all.

Has anyone running ubuntu/mythbuntu experienced similar problems in the last
day or so?  I download updates daily, and usually install them daily, and
that has served me well for the last year or so (of course, the 8 of the
last 12 months were running on 7.04 and 7.10).  Is this just a new lesson
for why I should be constantly paranoid and terrified about updates?

I'd like to simply undo the last update, but I'm afraid I don't know how to
do that.  Any advice would be appreciated, and let me know if I can provide
any further details.

Thanks,

Josh