[mythtv-users] nVidia 9600GT and XvMC - there or not?

Tom Lichti tom at redpepperracing.com
Wed Jul 16 17:47:10 UTC 2008

Robin Smith wrote:
> Yes, sorry its an E6600 Core 2 Duo at 2.4GHz.
>
> Okay, I guess its good to hear it should be enough (and I would have
> thought it was too), but I simply cannot make it playback nicely.
>
> For SDTV on Slim its fine, on CPU++ or Hig Quality its good but
> occasionally choppy.
>
> Can anyone tell me where to go next, does my xorg look fine?
>
> Forgive my ignorance, but is the AGP necessary at all given the card
> is PCI Express? A lot of my tweaking and troubleshooting experience is
> based on the setup of my old P4 system with FX5600 AGP card...

You need to stop removing all previous quotes, because most people will
delete the messages in the thread, and it's hard to follow what you are
asking about, exactly. AGP has no effect on PCI-E, so that's a dead end.

One question, are you using MythBuntu, or Ubuntu in general, for the
frontend? I had no end of playback problems with Ubuntu, I switched to
MythDora and it's been a dream. I run current SVN trunk version of
MythTV, and the latest Nvidia drivers, and it just works. Here is the
video section of xorg.conf. I made no changes after installing MythDora
and the Nvidia driver:

Section "Monitor"
    Identifier     "Monitor0"
    VendorName     "Unknown"