[mythtv-users] roku 360

Bill Williamson bill at bbqninja.com
Wed Jul 16 01:47:56 UTC 2008

On Wed, Jul 16, 2008 at 11:17 AM, Edward Goodnow
<edward_goodnow at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Well xbox 360 has plans to add Netflix support as well...as their hardware
> is already built then this will most probably be a firmware upgrade. If the
> 360 is adding this support and several others as well then there must be a
> Netflix SDK or some such thing with so many companies coming out with
> similar products.
>
> http://www.indeed.com/viewjob?jk=6c1fd033b3a5520a&chnl=Goliath-All
> http://thegreenbutton.com/forums/thread/237992.aspx
>
> read this
>
> On May 28th, from 'Netflix Analyst Day 2008': The other 3 Instant Watch
> hardware partners are on target for 08/09 releases (One is LG, still no hint
> on who the other 2 are). Netflix has created an SDK that can be added to
> existing Blu-Ray/dvd players (that have internet connections) to allow them
> to stream Netflix movies the same way the The Roku Netflix Player does. It
> is now up to the Blu-Ray player/game console makers to add this feature into
> their firmware. Whether any or all of them will opt to do so is unknown yet.
> Their hope is that once their current 4 partners start showing big success,
> others will jump on board.
>
> from this site
> http://community.netflix.com/forum/topic/show?id=1993323%3ATopic%3A8057
>
> seems to me that the SDK is already there or nearly done. and that Netflix
> is doing all they can to make deployment of 3rd party streaming solutions a
> rather trivial matter. All of this leads me to believe that not only is a
> Myth plugin feasible but that they would actually encourage such development

It would require a closed source plugin to mythtv.  This would be
against the GPL license (unless you were VERY creative in your
packaging...) and certaintly against the wishes of the myth devs.

You could likely get onto the SDK program and build a closed source
linux program which integrates through a menu option....