[mythtv-users] `Mythbackend leaks memory` continued

Stephen Bridges widget at stdin.co.uk
Tue Jul 15 22:13:38 UTC 2008

On Friday 11 July 2008 15:36:51 Andrew Williams wrote:

> Similar issues here, Seems to be a leak only while recording, but I
> use EIT and XMLTV to mix and match channels. I think I have about
> 30-40 channels that are EIT.
>
> > Operating System:
> > =================
> > Gentoo  - Pentium 4 (without HT) 1GByte Ram.
> > Kernel  - 2.6.24-gentoo-r8
> > TV-Card - Teratec Cynergy DVB-C Card
>
> Very similar here, Gentoo 2008.0, 2.6.24-gentoo-r8, Athlon64 3200+,
> 1GB Ram, 3 DVB devices, two in active use.
>
> > MythTV Version
> > ==============
> > Source: Trunk
> > Revision: 17733
>
> MythTV Version   : 17435
> MythTV Branch    : branches/release-0-21-fixes
> Library API      : 0.21.20080304-1

Mine is very similar, 40 channels of EIT & xmltv grabbing, only recording 1-2
dozen programmes a week.
time, rss, vsz
2008-06-26-0310: 45576 523096
2008-06-27-0310: 82124 565952
2008-06-28-0310: 90460 623292
2008-06-29-0310: 108340 613892
2008-06-30-0310: 97236 631488
2008-07-01-0310: 125352 636084
2008-07-02-0310: 143852 636084
2008-07-03-0310: 166056 647016
2008-07-04-0310: 198756 661936
2008-07-05-0310: 173508 727472
2008-07-06-0310: 204456 787672
2008-07-07-0310: 234220 803788
2008-07-08-0310: 256220 800200
2008-07-09-0310: 276800 808396
2008-07-10-0310: 190932 871196
2008-07-11-0310: 195720 878548
2008-07-12-0310: 121524 869148
2008-07-13-0310: 142608 881300
2008-07-14-0310: 139900 891048
2008-07-15-0310: 138676 904288

I haven't learnt how to use rrdtool to graph this, apologies

It's currently at about 15% mem usage, I think it crashes >30%.  I suspect it
may occur during EIT gathering, as it normally crashes during the day when
I'm not taping anything.  I didn't have this problem in 0.20 so I suspect
it's either a 0.21 issue or multirec, as I enabled that when I upgraded.

This box is the only way of watching TV in the flat, so doing dev work on it
would rapidly lose girlfriend acceptance factor.  How long does valgrind need
to run?  Half a day?  A few minutes?  A week?  I've only used it when
developing, so would I need to recompile (gentoo again) and not strip
binaries etc?

Stephen.