[mythtv-users] Booohooohoooo......

Jay R. Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Mon Jul 14 14:29:18 UTC 2008

On Sat, Jul 12, 2008 at 10:59:43PM -0700, David Brodbeck wrote:
> I can't say if there's any difference in longevity between the
> recertified drives and brand new ones.  I'm spinning about 35 drives,
> all Western Digital, but that's really not a big enough sample size when
> failures are such rare events.  I don't think the Google paper addressed
> that particular question, either.

Anecdote != data.

That said, every drive I've had fail in the last 10 years of
consulting was a Maxtor, except for one WD, and (embarassingly) one
Seagate.  The Seagate wasn't being treated right.  Other than that, I
haven't had a Seagate fail in 20 years.

Do *not* quote your drives from the low bidder.  :-)

Cheers,
-- jra

	     Those who cast the vote decide nothing.
	       -- (Josef Stalin)