[mythtv-users] IR for a frontend.

Ronald Frazier ron at ronfrazier.net
Mon Jul 14 03:30:48 UTC 2008

On Fri, Jul 11, 2008 at 10:22 PM, Mark A Jenks <Mark.Jenks at nsighttel.com> wrote:
> The IRA-3 looks like what I am looking for.
>
> Is there a way to just extend the IR part of the controller somewhere
> else?  I've heard that you can separate the IR from the controller, and
> take it 30-40ft away w/ 2pr wire.

Well, the IRA-3 simply has an ethernet style port (but it's not
ethernet...you can't hook it up to a router or anything like that). On
the other end you use an ethernet to 9-pin serial port adapter. You
connect the 2 by any length of ethernet cable (again, just the
cable...don't plug it into your router). I actually had mine hooked up
with a 6 foot cable to the ethernet wall outlet, which ran 20 feet of
CAT5 through walls/ceilings, hooked up to my patch block, and then
another 4 foot cable ran from the switch block to the serial port
adapter on the mythbox.

So really, you have the entire device wherever you want it. It's about
a 2 inch by 2 by 3/4 inch box. You can velcro it to the top of your TV
or something.

--
Ron
Ronald Frazier Photography - http://www.ronfphoto.com/