[mythtv-users] Shutdown / startup questions

Brian Foddy bfoddy at visi.com
Sun Jul 13 22:37:34 UTC 2008

I'm a many year users but tring to employ the automatic shutdown  and startup
options for the first time, but am having problems with either my
understanding or lack of features.

My environment has 2 machines, a master BE with several tuner cards, and a
slave BE / FE machine with a couple more tuners.  Mysql runs on the BE.

What I'd like to do, is keep the BE machine running 24x7 as it serves other
server duties, and have it startup the slave be only when it needs the tuner
cards it contains.  Then ideally, when I exit the FE program, have it decide
to shutdown the slave BE/FE machine if its not needed anytime soon.

What I've tried, is creating a WOL script one the master BE with simply:
-------------
#!/bin/bash
ether-wake whisper
-------------

The whisper host startup is set to auto start the backend process and launch
mythwelcome (or mythfrontend) automatically with autologin.  The WOL above
works if run manually with sudo as below.

and set:
Startup command:  unused
Pre shutdown check-command:  /usr/local/bin/mythshutdown
Slave BE wake command:  sudo /usr/local/bin/wake_whisper.sh   <the above>

and the other options default or unused.

The first test of creating a scheduled recording where the slave is needed
failed to start the command.

As I browse through the variety of wiki / doc entries, I don't see anything
like what I describe.  I'm starting to suspect startup/shutdown can only be
used to bring everything up / down, not piece-meal like I want.

Is what I'm describing possible by default?  If not, I might be open to more
serious development to make it happen?  And finally, once this is working,
then I'd like to evolve the process to using suspend to disk or ram, but
that's down the road I think.

Brian