[mythtv-users] Frontend compile only?

Paul Bender pebender at san.rr.com
Sun Jul 13 18:36:43 UTC 2008

Jason Gauthier wrote:
> All,
>

> I was reading some documentation one a few Wikis… they mentioned had
> –disable-backend.   Obviously, that is not in the configure –help
> options, so I took a closer look and found it was commented out.  Upon
> reading further comments, it sounds like it was used inappropriately,
> and possibly building the backend builds other, required, dependencies.
>

> But, a few more searches turned up little… so I am going to ask flat out:
>

> Is it possible to only build the frontend?  My Xbox is slow and it takes
> 24 hours for a full myth compile.
>
> I figured this could speed it up considerably.

Building the backend does not slow things down very much. Much of what
is built are common (e.g. general, codec and gui libraries). As a
result, disabling the backend does impact build time much.

However, since you do not care about capture functionality when you are
not building for a backend, you can disable capture devices (e.g. dvb,
v4l ivtv, iptv and hdhomerun).