[mythtv-users] Booohooohoooo......

Matt Emmott memmott at gmail.com
Sat Jul 12 21:46:35 UTC 2008

On Sat, Jul 12, 2008 at 5:38 PM, Nick Morrott <knowledgejunkie at gmail.com>
wrote:

> 2008/7/12 Francesco Peeters <francesco at fampeeters.com>:
> > My USB harddisk on which my MythTV FE/BE lives died... The drive won't
> > spin up anymore, and I currently don't have time to rebuilt on a new
> > device, and I really don't want to either, because I meant to make that
> > machine a net-boot machine...  *rolls eyes*
> >
> > Why does shit like that always happen at the most inconvenient times...
> >
> > Only good bit is that this drive is less than 2 years old, so I will at
> > least get a new one from WD!...
>
> Sorry to hear about the failure. I often wonder whether external
> drives have adequate cooling and ventilation, especially when they are
> used heavily. Do/did you monitor your HDD temps via SMART? Was the
> external drive purchased as a single unit (drive plus enclosure) or
> did you purchase the two separately?
>
> --
> Nick Morrott

 Does it make any noise at all? If it's stuck trying to spin up, throw it in
the freezer for an hour and see if that helps, it's helped me in the past.
The drive won't last long at that point but it might be enough to get the
data somewhere safe. Another thing that's worked for me is to fire the drive
up and give it a good smack right while it's trying to spin. Sometimes
there's a dead spot in the motor that can be jostled free with some tough
love. Anybody who's ever owned a car with a flaky starter motor can relate.
:-)