[mythtv-users] My new myth build so far...

Allen Edwards allen.edwards at oldpaloalto.com
Sat Jul 12 13:47:05 UTC 2008

> -The restricted device manager panel says the nVidia drivers (non-free)
> are not in use, but xorg.log says that it is.
That is good, don't change it.  My computer won't boot reliably if the
restricted device manager says the drivers are installed.  I think they
get installed at different places as the splash comes up later when the
system is working well.

> -Said nVidia driver on the system is 96.43.05, the one on my laptop
> running the bird (8.04) is at 169.12.  Of course, comparing the two
> shows that the laptop has a lot more repos configured, and I don't know
> if copying them across will break anything.
I used ngenvy to get the newest drivers.  Ngenvy works without issue.

> -I can't get the %$&^% TV Out working correctly.  If I attach any other
> device in the house to the set via component (DVD player, Playstation 2,
> borrowed STB with a ATSC receiver), the screen looks just fine.  If I
> set the nVidia driver to output 480i, the image on the screen is shrunk
> and a bit 'skewed' on a few sides.  If I try 480p, the image fills the
> viewing area, but all the graphics are freaking huge, like the display
> is only showing SVGA (or even VGA) resolutions, but xorg accepts the
> chosen resolution and does it on a 'virtual desktop'.  Of course, I had
> this issue with the old set-up using a MSI 6200 AGP card, so I don't
> think it's distro or hardware specific.
Don't set the TV resolution, let the driver do it.  Here is my
xorg.conf.  It may help you.  If you only have the one monitor (TV),
take out the other sections.

I needed to change TVOverScan in the nvidia-settings program and put in
a line in one of the X config file to get it to work.  TVOverScan no
longer works in sorg.conf so don't chase that one.

Section "ServerLayout"
     Identifier     "Layout0"
     Screen      0  "Screen0" 0 0
     Screen      1  "Screen1" RightOf "Screen0"
     InputDevice    "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
EndSection

   --snip--

Section "Monitor"
     # HorizSync source: xconfig, VertRefresh source: xconfig
     Identifier     "Monitor1"
     VendorName     "Unknown"
     ModelName      "TV-0"
     HorizSync       28.0 - 49.0
     VertRefresh     24.0 - 61.0
     Option         "DPMS"
EndSection

Section "Device"
     Identifier     "Videocard0"
     Driver         "nvidia"
     VendorName     "NVIDIA Corporation"
     BoardName      "GeForce 6200 LE"
     BusID          "PCI:1:0:0"
     Option         "UseDisplayDevice" "DFP"
     Screen          0
EndSection

Section "Device"
     Identifier     "Videocard1"
     Driver         "nvidia"
     VendorName     "NVIDIA Corporation"
     BoardName      "GeForce 6200 LE"
     BusID          "PCI:1:0:0"
     Option         "UseDisplayDevice" "TV-0"
     Screen          1
EndSection

Section "Screen"
     Identifier     "Screen0"
     Device         "Videocard0"
     Monitor        "Monitor0"
     DefaultDepth    24
     Option         "TwinView" "0"
     Option         "metamodes" "DFP: 1280x720_60 +0+0"
     SubSection     "Display"
         Depth       24
     EndSubSection
EndSection

Section "Screen"
     Identifier     "Screen1"
     Device         "Videocard1"
     Monitor        "Monitor1"
     DefaultDepth    24
     Option         "TwinView" "0"
     Option         "metamodes" "TV: nvidia-auto-select +0+0"
     SubSection     "Display"
         Depth       24
     EndSubSection
EndSection

> Also, dmesg shows that filldb segfaulted once for no apparent reason.
> Don't have any idea on that one, and running it by hand worked fine.
> *shrug*

I get various segfaults too.  It seems to happen.  I have been told to
ignore it and all seems well.

Hope this helps,

Allen