[mythtv-users] Mythweb Flash Stream has no sound on ATSC

Allen Edwards allen.edwards at oldpaloalto.com
Fri Jul 11 22:52:16 UTC 2008

Brad and I have been digging into this and the conclusion we have come
to is that there is a problem with the stream on Mythweb.  It is
probably something simple, if you are really good.

Here is what we found:

Flash player has no sound when streaming most if not all ATSC videos.
These same streams, when downloaded, can be played with sound by players
such as WinAmp and Media Player.  Unfortunately, these players will not
stream the files because of the redirection that mythweb uses.

Programs that can deal with the redirection, like flash and VLC, will
not play the sound.  These programs will also not play the sound of a
downloaded version of the file so it isn't just the streaming.

I ran into a similar problem where an external spdif decoder on my myth
box would not play the sound when another external spdif decoder would
play the same stream.

I would guess that there is something in the bitstream that either
players should be able to deal with but it is unusual and some can't, or
that there is an error in the stream that some players tolerate.

Anyone know how to fix this or work around it?

Allen