[mythtv-users] Record to "MPEG-2 SVCD-compatible Stream" with Hauppauge PVR USB2

Carsten Meier cm at internalscripts.de
Fri Jul 11 20:20:00 UTC 2008

Hello,

I want to record to an SVCD-ready stream with my Hauppauge PVR USB2. I
think the device is capable of doing so because a
'cat /sys/class/pvrusb2/sn-9009731/ctl_stream_type/enum_val' gives me
the following results:

MPEG-2 Program Stream
MPEG-1 System Stream
MPEG-2 DVD-compatible Stream
MPEG-1 VCD-compatible Stream
MPEG-2 SVCD-compatible Stream

Unfortunatly the last option is not accessible in the recording-profiles
in MythTV.

The reason for doing so is to avoid a transcoding-step that lowers the
quality. I already have recordings in SVCD-resolution with an average
bit-rate of 1800 and a max. bit-rate of 2400 but after running mplex
on them it told me of an peak bit-rate of 7000 kpbs. That's to high for
an SVCD.

Is it possible to create a recording-profile that records with the
"MPEG-2 SVCD-compatible Stream"-stream-type and uses an
audio-sampling-rate of 44,1kHz?

Thanks in advance.