[mythtv-users] `Mythbackend leaks memory` continued

Udo van den Heuvel udovdh at xs4all.nl
Fri Jul 11 07:57:11 UTC 2008

Dean Harding wrote:
> Udo van den Heuvel wrote:
>> So what is further needed as proof? You didn't comment on that.
>> Valgrind log is not the right answer of course.
>
> I think you misunderstand. Valgrind is not for "proving" there is a
> leak, it's for *finding* the leak.

So at this stage we are close to agreeing there is a leak? Or?

> A bug report (about a memory leak)
> without valgrind logs is useless to the developers.

Because of the heaps of code, I know.

> So the answer to your question is: no, it's not time to open a ticket.

So the problem remains unfixed and even unacknowledged.

> If you can get valgrind logs, *then* open a ticket. If not, just sit
> tight and wait for somebody who can.

Logs are not the problem.
Usable logs are an issue: mythTV doesn't run well on my EN12000 board
when valgrind is also eating CPU.

> P.S. In the interest of full-disclosure, I'm not a MythTV developer, but
> I *am* a developer.

I am a user with some dev experience.

Udo