[mythtv-users] Help installing HDHomerun - HDHR Error - Network is unreachable after reboot

Alen Edwards allen.edwards at oldpaloalto.com
Thu Jul 10 19:49:44 UTC 2008

Roger Heflin wrote:
> Alen Edwards wrote:
>> Thanks for the reply. That is basically what I have been doing, I
>> think 5 or 6 times now.
>>
>> Just to make sure, I just tried it again.  This time I was able to
>> install all 4 tuners (HDHR + 2 air2pc)and everything worked fine until
>> I rebooted the computer.  Now, both HDHR tuners show Not Available.
>>
>> I looked at the mythbackend.log and found this:
>>
>> HDHRChan(10137dc1/0), Error: Unable to send discovery request
>>                          eno: Network is unreachable (101)
>>
>> I have one of these error messages for each tuner.
>>
>> I issued a command:
>>
>> $ hdhomerun_config discover
>> hdhomerun device 10137DC1 found at 192.168.1.110
>>
>> So, it is there and reachable and I can ping it, which makes since as
>> I was using it before the reboot.
>>
>> These error messages do not show up in a google search.
>>
>> Both the computer and the HDHR are connected to a switch that is
>> connected to my network and DHCP router which is upstairs.
>>
>> AMD 5400+ CPU on ASUS M3A MB
>>
>> Anyone?
>>

> If I was guessing I would suspect that the network was not fully up when
> it looks for the HDHR.
>
> What runlevel is dhcp, and what runlevel does mythtv startup as, and is
> the network fully up when mythtv tries to start?  You may want to put
> some simple debugging code in the mythtv startup script to save the
> network status at the time the script runs (something like "ifconfig -a
>  > /tmp/somefile"
>
> And even if the runlevel for dhcp is before mythtv, it still may not be
> fully configured by the time mythtv tries to start, if the mythtv
> runlevel is higher, and the network is still not quite there yet, you
> may have to put something in mythtv to delay the startup a set amount,
> or delay until you have an ip address (and fall out after a fixed amount
> of time that would indicate other issues).
>
>                               Roger

Thanks Roger,

It sure sounds like you are correct.  I ran an experiment where I shut
down the backend and restarted it.  In that case it finds the HDHR tuners.

I wish I was Linux smart enough to know how to add a delay before
starting mythbackend.  I am not.  I am not new to Linux having run a
server for more than a decade but not an expert by any means.

I am running mythbuntu 8.04 and have done nothing to change runlevels.
My computer is fast, AMD 5400+ so that might make it worse.

Any help on where I can put a delay?

Thanks again for replying,

Allen