[mythtv-users] Clear QAM and PVR 1250

Raphael rpooser at gmail.com
Thu Jul 10 04:07:47 UTC 2008

Andrew Robinson wrote:
> Raphael wrote:
>> Andrew Robinson wrote:
>>> I bought a Hauppauge PVR 1250, dropped it in a Windows box, and hooked
>>> it up to the cable (Time-Warner, no box). The auto search feature says
>>> it finds no digital channels. Last night we bought a 26 in Sony Bravia.
>>> I plugged that into the cable (again no box), and it found something
>>> like 50 digital channels. I am hoping someone with much more experience
>>> in these things could tell if I'm likely doing something wrong with the
>>> PVR 1250, or if there is something different about the tuner in the Sony
>>> that allows it to pick up the digital channels.
>>>
>>> Thanks!
>>>
>>> Andrew Robinson
>>
>> Well, let's see, first thing you're doing wrong is using it in windows.
>> (sorry couldn't resist) Last I checked myth wasn't working that well on
>> windows yet.
>>
>> In mythtv if you go into mythtv-setup and add it as a tuner, and then go
>> to input connections and scan to add channels, it will find all your non
>> encrypted QAM channels. The drivers for this card "just work" with the
>> latest linux kernel. Or if you're using an older kernel just compile the
>> latest v4l-dvb.
>>
>> That's a heck of a lot more than I can say for my attempts to get the
>> thing working in windows when I first got it.
>> raphy
>>

> Point taken. I should have mentioned that I eventually plan to drop the
> card in a Myth box. :)
>
> So you had trouble getting the digital channels in Windows but got them
> in Myth? You know of no reason to think that there is a difference
> between the Sony TV and the PVR 1250?
>
> Thanks.

In general I don't know of any reason there'd be a difference.
The channels that come through on my TV also get picked up by my HVR1250.
As far as windows goes... I didn't try very much. I didn't get to the
point of trying to scan for channels in fact.
I noticed a problem with older version of myth not scanning properly
(pre 0.21). But in that case I was able to use the scan tool from
dvb-utils to pick up all the channels in my area. The current version of
myth I'm using (0.21-fixes) scanned and picked up all the channels on
its own.
Sorry I can't be of more help on the windows side.
cheers,
raphy