[mythtv-users] transcoding widescreen recordings

Roger Heflin rogerheflin at gmail.com
Wed Jul 9 19:26:42 UTC 2008

David Engel wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 09, 2008 at 11:02:05AM -0000, Peter VanDerWal wrote:
>> How does Myth know if the show is in letterbox or not?
>
> http://svn.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/4872
>
> David

I have a couple of stations around here (owned by the same company) that on the
4:3 stuff they put on the ATSC widescreen channels, add a annoying (almost
static-very slowly scrolling down) set of logos around in the blank space
messing up most proper detection methods.

I use mencoder to transcode stuff and I have come up with a more complicated
detection method to deal with this annoying stuff that will allow detection of
this sort of mostly static stuff being added around normal tv stuff.

The basic algorithm uses something called 0th order entropy to determine how
much randomness is in given horizontal and vertical lines of pixels, and if the
randomness is below a certain point it crops them.

How many others are seeing stations adding similar crap around content?

                        Roger