[mythtv-users] Copyright Legislation in Canada

Charles philip Chan cpchan at sympatico.ca
Wed Jul 9 17:43:57 UTC 2008

Brad DerManouelian <myth at dermanouelian.com> writes:

> If there is no technical protection measure on the original recording,
> how could this be considered circumventing a technical protection
> measure?

AFAIK PVRs are allowed, but must comform to the PVR section of the bill
with such "nice" features:

,----
`----

,----
| ripping songs from your legally purchases CDs, if it has any copy
| protection whatsoever, on it will earn you a $500 fine per song.  No
| more MP3's on your MCE (or MP3 player) No more "My Videos"
`----

This renders the PVR function, DVD playing + archiving (DeCSS), and CD
playing + archive of MythTV illegal in Canada.

> I agree. This law should not pass based on the little I've read about
> it, however even if it does, I still don't see how MythTV would be
> illegal in any way.

I believe I have answered that. I am not a pirate, I just want my "fair
dealing" rights for time + space shifting and backup of my legally
purchased CDs and DVDs.

> Oh, I also hate top-posting. Maybe there should be a law about that.

I agreed. ;-)

Charles